DISCLAIMER:

I love my dog, football college is better than the NFL, coffee, wine, men and lots of swear words!! Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. These are mine. If you are going to be mean keep yours to yourself.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Technology Is Overrated

I have a love hate relationship with the internet, smart phones and just plain old advanced technology.
I remember what life was like before everyone and their dog had a cell phone.
I remember when internet was dial up and SLOW!!
But all in all the world wasn't all that bad.
The internet is killing so many things things I love like bookstores. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE with every fiber of my being electronic books. I REFUSE to look at one or read one. I have deleted the book app off my ipad.
The internet is also killing record stores and cds. I love to go to the store and pick up the new cd as it comes out. I LOVE reading the liner notes. I love buying cds and giving them as gifts.

The internet is also messing up generations of kids. There are kids out there who feel like they should get anything and everything at the drop of a hat just because they have it at their fingertips via the internet.
There is an entire generation of kids who can not carry on a conversation because they don't know how to interact with REAL LIVE people.  They essentially have NO PERSONALITY. It has been killed by the computers and internet games they play with.
It drives me crazy when I meet a teenager or someone even in their 20's who doesn't know how to talk to other people.
They don't know how to entertain themselves without a tv, cell phone or some other electronic babysitter.

I thank God that my little brothers LOVE to read. I thank God that they can carry on a conversation.
They play their fair share of video games. But they at least have a personality to show.

When I was little I spent EVERY summer on my grandpa's farm in Wisconsin.
I had a cow I claimed as mine (only because she would let me walk up to her in the field and pet her)
Her name was Maria.
I would get up and go get the cows in the morning with my grandpa and his dog Benjo.
Benjo was my best buddy.
I would help my grandpa milk the cows.
(the fresh milk would go into this huge bulk tank that would cool it off and the milk man would come and collect it every other day)
I would drink milk directly from the bulk tank it was pure heaven. So, cold and creamy.
I would give everything I own to go back there for a summer.
My grandma taught me how to bake jelly rolls and home made bread. It was pure heaven. I am sure at the time I had no clue how wonderful it was.
I just skipped thru the summers playing with the cows, barn cats, Benjo, my swing on the big tree and the girl my age who lived across the street.
We played all summer. We had the best time. We played in the play house. We played in my grandpa's camper. We played everywhere you could think of. We never got bored. We never went inside except for lunch and dinner.

I'm not saying kids today need summers like this but they need so much more than electronic stimulation.

I will admit I am addicted to my Blackberry and it usually isn't too far away from me.
I do text. I enjoy the ease of sending a picture via text message.
I am addicted to Twitter. I love so many things about technology but I hate that its is killing so many really cool things.

The internet is a helpful tool as well. It has reconnected me with old friends via Facebook.
It helps me communicate with sometimes long lost friends via email.
It keeps me from getting lost with Google maps! I am directionally challenged.
It helps me feed my football addiction.
It helps me meet people I would normally never meet if they had not happen to follow me on Twitter.
It allows my friends to share videos and pictures instantly without having to wait to get them printed and mailed out.
It does AMAZING things.

BUT my advice and what I have been doing lately is totally unplugging.

When the weather cools off. Grab a BOOK (that thing made out of paper with lots of pages)
Go sit outside and enjoy the world. Leave your phone and computer inside.
Take at least 1 hour everyday and just unplug from the world.
I have started doing this lately and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

Enjoy!
XOXOXOXOXOXO
Kate ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment